The University is a private, liberal-arts institution, which offers a number of professional, pre-professional and vocational programmes, it is the only multi-disciplinary tertiary institution serving rural Jamaica. Its enrolment exceeds 5000 students from up to 35 countries.
The academic goals of Northern Caribbean University are as follows:
- To provide broad spectrum, high quality educational programmes for post-baccalaureate degree preparation and productive, and useful roles in society.
- To motivate students for intellectual excellence, creativity and independent thought, through sound teaching methods, exposure to appropriate reading materials, technology, and enriching experiences.
- To balance academic and practical experience through work/study programmes which develop a wholesome respect for the dignity of labour.
- To provide pre-college programmes to bridge the gap between the under-prepared university prospect and university entrance requirements.
- To respond to the special needs of the local and international community through the provision of special courses, seminars and workshops.
- To cooperate with the Jamaican and other Caribbean governments toward developing accredited programmes in line with their respective national objectives.
- To host post-baccalaureate programmes in affiliation with select overseas universities.
- To create an academic culture that both consumes and creates knowledge.